Date: January 17, 2016
Instructor: Professor Burke
Topic 1 Assignment: Navigating Loud Cloud & Time Management
Purpose of Assignment: To become familiar with the GCU Learning Management System (LMS) Loud Cloud and the GCU website, and to also help you develop time management; an important skill for college and everyday life.
This assignment will be in two parts. The first part of this assignment, you will be exploring and navigating around the Loud Cloud LMS so that you are more confident in locating items in the online class as well as resources that are available to you as a GCU student. Also in Part 1, you will navigate the main GCU website so you more familiar as to where locate information if in need in the future.
In Part 2, you will be tracking and recording your time spent for 3 days to see where and how you manage your time. You will then reflect on your findings and plan strategies to help you maximize your time and help you become a better manager of your life.
Format: Solid academic writing is expected for both Parts 1 and 2.
Grading Criteria: Part 1 will be graded with an instructor answer key; Part 2 will be reviewed based on your data given and presentation of your reflection.
Assignment Due Date: End of Week/Topic 1
The following questions are directed towards the Loud Cloud LMS:
1. Log into Loud Cloud. Select a course and list the items on the menu bar and what function they serve. Dashboard, Calendar, Course, Connect, Reports, and Messages.
2. From the course home page, place your cursor on the COURSE tab on menu bar. Explore each selection on the drop-down menu and make notes on what you find. I find the different resources I can use for an assignment.
3. From the course home page, place your cursor on the CONNECT tab on the menu bar. Explore each selection on the drop-down menu and make notes on what you find. This is place I can communicate with my teachers and other student in the same course as me.
4. Stay in the COURSE tab, select and click on the CLASS WALL. This is a place for you to engage in more leisure conversation with your peers in class (this area does not count towards participation in the class). You will be introducing yourself to the instructor and your peers here by placing your Class Wall Bio. Please open the Class Wall Bio Outline (found in Course Materials), and follow the formatting to prepare your biography.
5. From the course home page, place your cursor on the REPORTS tab on the menu bar. Explore each selection on the drop-down menu and make notes on what you find. The gradebook shows what my grade is and what I got on an assignment.
6. From the course home page, place your cursor on the MESSAGES tab on top menu. Explore each selection on the drop-down menu and make notes on what you find. Notifications where the school tells us something important. Announcements is where the professor tell all their students what is happening.
7. In Loud Cloud, find the STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER, click on THE WRITING CENTER tab. What writing style guide should be used for a course, such as UNV 103? Also, make note of the other resources found on this page. GCU style is the style use for this course and we can find the learning lounge, classroom policies, and the writing process.
8. In Loud Cloud, in the STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER, click on the RESOURCES tab. List the resources available on this page. The different colleges websites.
9. In Loud Cloud, in the STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER, click on the TOOLS FOR SUCCESS tab. What videos are available for students under the SUCCESS WEBINARS section? Note taking, reading strategies, study skills, test taking, and time management.
10. From the course home page, click on the COURSE tab and then on Tutoring Services. Take notes on what you find concerning “TurnItIn.” Do you still submit assignment if the report is more than 20 percent and because of the GCU worksheets?
11. From the COURSE tab, select LIBRARY. Click on the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (on the left). List how a GCU student finds a book, DVD, streaming video or other multimedia at the GCU Library. Click on the “Find Books & More” on the library website. Type in your search terms in the search box.
The following questions are directed towards the GCU Website at: http://www.gcu.edu
1. On the Home Page, locate and click the Spiritual Life tab on the right side of the screen. You will notice a navigation pane on the left side of the screen. Click on Chapel and the Gathering. What information is listed under Chapel and the Gathering? The description about the Chapel and the Gathering, Chapel and the Gathering schedule, and the GCU worship team.
2. On the Home page, locate and click the Current Students tab on the right side of the screen. Scroll down the page and look on the left side and click on the Learning Resources tab. What information is listed under the Learning Resources section? Institutional effectives, webinars, and thinking storm.
3. On the Home page, notice the icons on the top right header area. What are the other icons listed next to the“” for the GCU Facebook page? Twitter, Youtube, and Instagram.
4. On the Home page, click the About Us tab located at the top right side of the screen. Explain or summarize in your own words, what the Mission and Vision Statement for Grand Canyon University means to you.
5. Stay in the About Us tab; locate and list The Four Pillars of Grand Canyon University. Academic advancement, Christian camaraderie, extracurricular excellence, and wellness and well-being.
6. Navigate back to the Home page, and go to the Academics tab. Read about Accreditation near the bottom of the page; you will need to click on the Read More to access the full text. What does it mean to be an accredited university? An accredited university speaks to the quality of the university.
7. Navigate from the Academics tab to the Student Affairs tab. Locate and click on Bookstore; you should see this option under the Student Resources and Classroom & Community. What are the hours of operation of the Bookstore? Monday through Thursday 7a.m to midnight, Friday 7 a. m to 10p.m, and Saturday through Sunday 10 a. m to midnight.
8. On the Home Page, click on Majors and Programs. Find the program you are majoring in and write down what class in the program you think looks most interesting and why. *You will need to click on the Course List to view all the courses in your program area. The class I am looking forward to is Crime Scene Processing because I know I will be great in that class.