How to start writing a book
Tell me, if you happened is this: want to write a book, but how to start – it is not clear? Or maybe you started to write a book, but then you just got lost and did not know, what’s next? Read this article and you will learn how to write a book and what it takes to start.
Think overall plot of your book
Think the theme of book
Before starting to write a book, you need an idea. Idea, like a seed, from which grows a tree of your book. Yes, it is difficult inventing the idea, but if you open yourself up to new experiences, the ideas you will have a lot – just choose!
In the beginning of work on the book ideas can be different. You can only have a common story, or where everything will happen, or only line of the protagonist, or something smaller. No matter how difficult it will be in the beginning – any idea can be turned into a beautiful book.
Learn the theme
Determine what you write? Now examine the question. For example, you decide to write a book about children playing in the futuristic video game. Thus, it makes sense to learn more about video games, it might be worth even play them yourself. So you get a new experience and, as a consequence, new ideas.
Expand a theme
Any topic can be made more complex, more developed. Make the topic more thoroughly, you can, if you expand it to its logical outcome, to take into attention all the circumstances and all that. And the better you will work on topic, the easier it will be to work on the plot.
Take the same story about the video game. You may see the question – who made this game? What for? What happens to those who play it?
Think about your readers
Invent and develop the theme? Don’t forget about your readers. For whom you’re writing a book? Different people, different experiences, different amounts of knowledge – you have to take into attention all this, when you start to work on the story and characters.
Don’t think – that your hands are tied. The book that tells about the children playing video games, may well be of interest for people, for example, the elderly, who generally represent themselves with difficulty, it is such a beast – a video game. However, if you write a book for those who have never encountered the theme of work, then you will have to show the wonders of ingenuity in order to understand and describe all available.
Let’s work on the story
At the beginning of the book should be to work on the story. Yes, a certain room for maneuver can be, but the work on the book without some sort of “road map” as a whole rarely leads to something good. And best of all – to start with the selection of the book structure. According to theory of the writer’s case, there are several basic structures, in accordance with which it is written the majority of works of art. However, these basic structures can be combined perfectly with each other.
Two of the most basic of them is called:
– Act. Most often, this structure is referred to in the context of films and performances, although it is applicable to books. The point is that the product can be easily decomposed into several fragments. Typically, such fragments is 3, although it may be 2, and 4. In the classical three fragments structure in the first act, which accounts for approximately 25% of the work, introduced the characters, major and minor, the setting works, describes the problem to be solved, and also provides some background information. In the second act (50% of the work) revealed the conflict and the plot, and it is there, it can be said, and told all the fun. The third act, in turn, is the denouement, the culmination and conclusion. Each of the three of these acts can, in turn, break up into smaller segments, each telling about something else.
– Monomyth. Major in this structure in that all stories involving characters can be grouped into archetypes. It all starts with what is called a hero in an adventure, although he at first refuses. Then the hero have some help those whom he knew from past adventures. Then – a series of tests, and in the end – a major private testing, the confrontation with the antagonist and the triumphant return home.
Select the type of conflict
What type of conflict will propel your book and force readers to read to the end? There are many such mechanisms storytelling, but the main are:
– Man against nature – when the protagonist is faced with some kind of natural phenomenon.
– The man against the supernatural – when the protagonist is faced with something alien, paranormal or mythical.
– Man against man – when the protagonist is faced with another person (the most, by the way, a common type of conflict).
– Man against society – respectively, when the call rushes social norms or the society itself.
– Man against himself – and here the story comes to dealing with himself, his inner demons and fears.
Think about the theme of the work
Consciously or not, but the story will end with the topic. And what is the topic? This is what “really” you told. Expanding the theme, you are likely to come to that title and his attitude towards it. In general, think carefully about the choice of the theme – it will help to develop the story through certain situations and events.
“Dune” by Frank Herbert – it’s not all about the guy who took revenge for the family. It’s about the dangers of imperialism, moreover – Herbert made it clear that, in his opinion, the Western world firmly stuck in all this that is foreign to him and beyond his control.
Think of the key plot points
It is a kind of turning milestones of story, important events that change the course of the movement of the hero. And you need to clear them imagined. The event, make a hero to go hiking? The key point. The turning point, when all the planes flying into a ditch? The key point. The denouement, the final battle? Again, the key point!
Make a draft
Once you have decided what and how you write, it’s time to make a first draft of your work. It is, in fact, his road map, a map of ideas – but without this book not to write. Record the total content of all the scenes, their purpose, involved in their characters, their thoughts, feelings and so on. Each item in the sequence of events to be recorded. All this – the best way to deal with a creative crisis, because with the help of this map you will always be able to describe the main scenes, even if not perfect.
Work on the characters
Decide on the number of characters
Already in the early stages of work on the book is worth considering – and how many characters it will be? Maybe, at a minimum, to evoke in the reader a sense of loneliness? Or as much as possible to create the most researched and surround the world? This is an important question that should be explored as soon as possible.
Nobody is perfect and gorgeous throughout. Not only wrong, Mary Sue (a type of “perfect, flawless and exceptionally brilliant character”), but these characters are pretty only to their authors. Let your characters will have problems, worries and failures – all this will make them more real, and readers will be easier to associate themselves with these heroes. Do not forget that people are not perfect, fictional characters – too.
Errors of your hero will give you enough space to fix them within a narrative. What type of good stories: the hero corrects the errors of the past, to become better. People love to read about it – it gives them hope that all is not lost and there is somewhere Real People!
Discover the heroes
Give to your characters strengths and weaknesses. Now think about how they will react to certain events and situations, even if you’re talking about such incidents will never write. Think about characters hope and dreams, what causing upset and frustrated, who and what is important to them. The more you know about the character, the better you will understand how they will react to changing circumstances, and it is – the key to the creation of a well-thought-out character.
Rate the heroes
Working on the characters? Okay, now step aside and take a look at them with a critical eye. These heroes are important precisely for the story? No? And what if they need? When the product is too many heroes, which, moreover, also from each other does not distinguish, then read this book difficult.